Road Test for Driver’s License
WHO: Students who have successfully completed the 30/6 course with Marietta/Cobb Driver’s Education and are eligible to receive their Class D Driver’s License.
WHAT: Provides road test for the Georgia Department of Driver Services.
WHERE: 1171 Whitlock Avenue, Marietta, (Marietta/Cobb Driver’s Ed office location)
WHEN: By appointment only. Call 770-429-3170 ext. 3304
The Georgia Department of Driver Services has licensed the Marietta/Cobb Driver’s Education Program and its specially trained examiners as a state approved testing facility to administer the road test needed for teens to receive their Class D Georgia Driver’s License.
This service is available only for students that have completed and passed the 30/6 driver’s education course with the Marietta/Cobb Driver’s Education Program at any of our school sites.
The fee must be paid when the appointment is made and nonrefundable. There is an additional $25.00 fee if an appointment is rescheduled for any reason at any time. Appointments are scheduled in the order of available time slots.
Upon successful completion of the road test, the student will be given a certificate to take with them to the Driver Services complex to receive their license. An appointment there is not needed.
On the driving test you will be expected to do all or part of the following:
- Parallel Parking: Park midway between two standards so that your car is not more than 18 inches from the curb.
- Quick Stops: Drive at a speed of 15 miles per hour and make a quick, safe stop when the examiner instructs you.
- Backing: Back your car for a distance of about 50 feet, at a slow rate of speed, and as straight and as smoothly as possible. Turn your head and look back at all times while backing.
- Stopping for Signs or Traffic Signals: Give the proper hand or brake signal; approach in the proper lane; stop before reaching a pedestrian crosswalk; and remain stopped until you may move safely through.
- Turning Around: Turn your car in a narrow space.
- Approaching Corners: You must be in proper lane and look in both directions.
- Yielding Right-of-Way: Always yield right-of-way to pedestrians, motor vehicles, bicyclists or anyone else who moves into the intersection before you.
- Turning: Get into the proper lane and give signal an adequate distance before reaching the turn.
- Passing: Always look ahead and behind to make sure you can safely pass without interfering with other traffic.
- Following: Do not drive too closely behind other cars. Watch the car ahead of you; when it passes some reference point, such as a telephone pole, and then count "one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two." If you pass the same spot before you are through counting, you are following too closely.
- Posture: Keep both hands on the steering wheel. Do not rest your elbow on the window and do not attempt to carry on a conversation with the Examiner because they will be busy giving instructions and recording your score.
- Turn About: Back the vehicle into a parking space, then drive forward and turn left.
At the end of the test, the license examiner will gladly show you your score sheet and will provide you ample opportunity to discuss the test if you so desire. The applicant must achieve a minimum score of 75% to pass.
Please visit www.dds.ga.gov for a complete list of all documentation and requirements needed before the road test can be given.